Sunday, December 30, 2012

Hail to the Redskins

My mother was a huge sports fan. As her world shrunk the last two years of her life, she watched football games, baseball games and NASCAR with increased frequency. She had been a fan of the Redskins since the 50s. She even dated Redskin Gene Brito! (That she ended up with my dad says a lot about him!)

In the 70s, my parents had Redskins season tickets. They would take me to the game closest to Christmas to watch Santa Claus parachute into RFK Stadium. Back in those days, women dressed up in their finest to go to the games. It wouldn't be unusual to see women bedecked in furs and jewels at RFK. When they gave up their season tickets, they would watch the games at home. (I learned how to cuss expertly at sports personalities from my father.) In the 80s, my mom volunteered for Joe Gibbs' charity auction, Youth for Tomorrow. My aunt bid on Pat Gibbs' Super Bowl XXII necklace and won. She gave the necklace to my mother, who wore it whenever the Redskins didn't tick her off. I have worn it every Sunday since my mother died.

The last game we watched together was the Thanksgiving Day game against Dallas. We were joined together in our hatred for the Cowboys and revelled in the fact that the Redskins had won the game. Less than a week later my mother was gone. 

Little did we know, the Redskins were in the middle of a seven game winning streak that would lead them to the playoffs and an NFC East Division Championship. The season had started with uneven performances and injuries. Robert Griffin III appeared to be "the real thing" but it didn't appear that the rest of the team would get their act together soon enough to salvage the season.

I have watched most of the games since Thanksgiving with my dad, cussing unapologetically at the TV. It's been a great way to bond with my father but it has been bittersweet. My mother would have loved this. She would be wearing the necklace I am wearing around my neck now, praising RGIII and Alfred Morris as if they were her grandkids. She would be thrilled to see Bryce Harper (a Cowboys fan) wearing RGIII socks and rooting for the skins. She would have enjoyed watching Jerry Jones' disappointment as Tony Romo made his third interception of the game. Most of all, she would have loved seeing her Skins winning again.

Thank you, Redskins, for reminding me that even when everything looks bleak, there is always hope. It may take a while and there might be a few changes in the lineup, but things will get better.

#HTTR

No comments:

Post a Comment